Monday, January 09, 2017

Long Overdue Update - brief interruption of happy posts

My resolution last year was to use this blog to talk about things that bring me joy, which largely centers around photography, birding, and crafts.  I was doing OK with it for the first 8 months of the year.

A few days after my last post, however, my mom passed away.  It was sudden, but not entirely unexpected, but devastating to me nonetheless.

August was spent traveling to Oregon, being with family, and mourning in my own secluded ways.

September was spent preparing for her memorial service.

October began with her service, and continued my own mourning while dealing with the post-memorial feeling of "what do I do now?"

November brought on the holidays, which overwhelms me anyway, but was particularly challenging this year as my family and I navigated our celebrations with my mother's absence for the first time.

Over the years I've lost some significant people in my life, and with each passing I've felt my own priorities shift.  My mother's passing was a monumental loss, and as I've slowly emerged from a grief that will probably never fully subside, I've felt those priority shifts from the past take an even firmer hold on me.

Life is too short to spend it with hurtful, toxic people, meaningless, time-wasting distractions, and invented drama.  As I have gradually shifted away from these things I have found myself to be living a more fulfilling and happier existence.  Now, more than ever, I'm determined to stay this more positive course.

No comments: