The weather has finally turned to normal Fall... chilly, dewy mornings, sometimes warm sunshine in the afternoons, and even some real rain here and there. My brain is in full Fall mode, which means while I'm working on Fall items I'm looking ahead to Christmas projects - gathering ideas and supplies.
My Super Secret Ornament project for D has been revealed to him, but now he wants me to make a bunch more for his friends, so I'm keeping the project offline until the whole thing is done and shipped out. I'm happy to report, though, that his reaction was a literal jaw-drop (followed quickly by "how many more of these could you make?")
While at an outing to the State Fair, we came across a calligraphy demonstration. I noticed the artist used a giant playing card to keep the oils from her hands off the surface of her paper, and also so that her hand would glide while writing. I thought it was brilliant, so I took a picture to remember this trick for future drawing projects.
Halloween Decorations. It may feel early, but I host a Halloween themed function in the first week of October, so Halloween is now a season in our house. These are a few of the decorations, as I haven't taken photos of all of them yet.
Shelob - this year she is in full view of the front door so that trick-or-treaters can get a good look at her.
Aragog - the crate that my mystery gift arrive in is perfect for this one.
Guest Bathroom Infestation - Uhu wall tack and a couple bags of bugs makes for a fun effect!
Halloween Costume Complete!
I managed to make use of a good portion of my fabric stash. I'd originally thought the wings would be more hodge-podge, but I had so much of the light and feathered fabrics that I had enough to make nice even rows. I used my peaking sheers to cut the feathers and left them rough edged for a feathery effect. The construction was much like a quilt... lay out the feathers on the base cape, determine the order, pick up the feathers and make small piles of each row... start with the bottom row and pin, stitch down the top of the feathers.... repeat until all the rows are down. I did a loose hand stitch to attach the wings to the shirt (so that I can remove it later without damage to the shirt) and I tacked a few feathers around the neck of my shirt (which did not show in these photos, but perhaps I'll get a better shot on Halloween) The beak is just felt, cut to the shape of my nose, and I used a glue dot to stick it to the bridge of my glasses. I pinned my hair up in tufts - my goal was Great Horned Owl.
Next up on my sewing table... a homecoming dress for G (which I'm not allowed to show until the night of Homecoming), then her Halloween costume, then I'm full on into Christmas gifts.
On photography... I took an afternoon last week to shoot a couple rolls of color pinhole film at a wildlife refuge. We hit it at high tide, which made for some fun reflections of gnarled tree trunks surrounded by water. This weekend I have an outing to capture fall foliage with my pinhole group - I hope to roll some 620 spools so I can shoot with my Six-20, but my primary goal is the Graflex Pinhole to get enough shots for an entirely Pinhole calendar. I'll get all that film back October 20th, which is also a day off, so with any luck I'll be happily scanning away that afternoon and evening.
With that... it's off to the sewing table!